Friday, October 10, 2008

Short story outside reading number 3 =)

So I spent about an hour and a half yesterday reading Dr. Suess. I think this was the first time I have actually paid attention to the morals of the stories. I read "And to Think That I Saw It on Mullberry Street", "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins", "Horton Hatches The Egg", "Yertle The Turtle", "The Lorax", and "Gertrude Mcfuzz". Gosh I absolutely love Dr. Suess. I'm actually quite jealous of him. He can make extremely fun stories that also mean something. My favorite is probably "Yertle the Turtle". The moral of "Yertle The Turtle" is that everybody can make a difference in the world, even someone as insignificant as the little turtle Mack at the bottom of the pile of turtles. I also really really like "And To Think That I saw It On Mulberry Street". It shows that with imagination something even as simple as a horse and carriage can be turned into something amazing. 
Dr. Suess is really easy to read and it is a ton of fun, even though I am fifteen years old. Reading Dr. Suess always calms me down, especially yesterday. I was stressed about a test and reading Dr Suess helped a ton. I really think that even though children's books and stories are simple to read, that everyone, even adults should still read them. They are just a nice refresher that everyone still has some child in them.

2 comments:

Vivian H said...

Ahha, Mara, I love your choice of outside reading. Especially Yertle the turtle, which beside being about one person (or turtle) making a big difference, is also about Hitler. You should read some of Dr. Seuss' political cartoons. They're really interesting and insightful if you wanted to know more about Dr. Seuss or America before and during WWII.

Anonymous said...

Its cool how Dr. Seuss can still influence us today. Back when I was a kid the books helped me learn how to read and understand rhymes. Now they teach us morals and alleviate stress like you say. Dr. Seuss was a brilliant guy.