Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dear American Airlines

One significant quote that I found in the book was when Benny id really bored and just sitting in the terminal. "Dear American Airlines, you miserable fucks, I'm going to keep writing. I;m going to keep writing and writing and writing and writing and you're going to keep reading and reading because for the first time in my life it wasn't me that blew it- it was you" (66). There are two really important parts to this quote. This first part that I find to be very significant is how he is talking about writing and writing. For some people, music makes them feel better, and for some people it is talking to others. I think that Benny uses writing as his way of working through his feelings and figuring everything out in his head. I bet that he keeps writing directed to the airlines because he needs someone to talk to, but he has nobody. For me, it is hard to keep a journal because I don't know how to write to myself. I bet this is somewhat the same for Benny. The other part of this quote that made me really think is "for the first time in my life it wasn't me that blew it- it was you." This shows how much in his life he has really messed up, and how nice it is for him to have somebody else to blame. I think that he blames himself for all his problems, and this is giving him some hope that other people in the world mess up also.


4 comments:

Andrea L. said...

I agree with you, I have trouble keeping a journal. That is probably why he directs his thoughts and feelings toward American Airlines. Then it seems as if he's writing to someone, not just nothing. It's also probably nice to finally have someone else to blame. Good work!

Erik P. said...

Well, there are a few things that you said that I liked. While it is true that people sometimes have trouble what to say to themselves in a journal, this character is really venting his feelings. It's not about his inability to write a journal. I don't think that has much to about telling American Airlines his feelings. On the other hand, I'm just reading your blog post. I haven't read the book, and I just might not get it.

Hannah D said...

I haven't read Dear American Airlines, but to me it seems as if Benny starts writing to American Airlines and then can't seem to stop. He just keeps venting and venting. If he really has messed up a lot, I would bet he has a lot of pent-up frustration at himself and just in general. Probably writting the letter allows him so release that anger and almost find closure with his mistakes. Also, I hope that realizing that the airline messed up shows him that people make mistakes Hopefully this will cause him to lose his anger at himself for continually messing up. Maybe Benny is so used to having the finger pointed at him that he feels the need and feels the power of pointing the finger at someone else. However, I don't think a letter like this is going to make American Airlines help him out.

Monica G said...

Heehee! Great analyzation of the last part of the quote. That's further than I would be able to see into the depths of his emotions! But so very true, as well. I like that even while Benny presents a scape-goat, he's very conscious of the fact. Usually, blame is something not outrightly stated, and Benny's quip about "for once it wasn't me" inserts self-mocking into something that is defiantly removing self-blame. Very interesting; sounds like a fun book!