Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dear American Airlines

One thing I thought was really very interesting in the book is when Benny makes a phrasebook for his mother, who had a stroke and was not able to talk. With the phrasebook he wrote down every single phrase he thought that she would need to say, and put them into categories. He wanted his mom to be able to be able to turn to any page and point to what she wanted to say. It was extremely thoughtful of him. He said, "Under the 'Miscellaneous' rebric I even included me-directed unpleasantries like 'watch your language' and 'how is your work coming?'"(175). I think that that both shows Benny's humor and how he really was trying to make life the best it could be for his mother. What I found most interesting about this part in the book was the way his mother reacted to his gift of a phrase book. "Taking a ballpoint pen to one of my Post-it pads, she wrote on three consecutive sheets: I HAVE MUCH MORE TO SAY THAN THAT. I hadn't considered that it might be disturbing for her, to see the entirety of her remaining life- and what is life if not the words that we speak?-reduced to fifteen or so looseleaf notebook pages, sharp convenience not withstanding" (175). I think that this really really demonstrates how what is seen as a nice gesture can often be taken the wrong way. Also it shows how there is always more than one perspective on every situation, and how things that were meant one way are often perceived differently. 



2 comments:

Alex said...

That's a good observation on the differences in perception of peoples' actions. A lot of times you think that what you are doing is really great and nice, but you finish and the person who you are doing it for takes offense. People are unpredictable.

annie said...

I think that because of Benny and his mother's communication block they are sometimes misunderstood. Benny is trying to be nice by making her this phrase book, and she takes is as something rude. I hope they find an easier way to communicate so they aren't misunderstood.